“Far away from the madding crowd”-whenever the hustle and bustle of the urban life seems overwhelming, I recollect this famous novel by Thomas Hardy. Dwelling in a concrete jungle like Kolkata,sometimes all you want is to escape far,far away to a peaceful place where there are no deadlines, no rush and absolute tranquility.There are no dearth of good resorts near Kolkata but I want to present this comprehensive guide to the best resorts near Kolkata for every kind of traveller.
Whether you are someone who is a sucker of thrill, nature lover or die-hard romantic-we have got you covered.Pause, unwind and breathe out all the stress at these carefully selected options of resorts ,all within a convenient distance from Kolkata.
ECO-TOURISM RESORT NEAR KOLKATA FOR THE NATURE LOVER:
Distance from Kolkata: Approximately 187.8 km.
Tucked away from the commotion of the Bolpur City Centre,lies this humble botique resort named RaktoKorobi Karugram in a village called Roopar.Nestled amidst lush green paddy fields, this theme resort will enchant you with its simple countryside aura.
Theme of the resort:
The resort is named after the renowned dance drama “Raktakarabi”(Red Oleander) by Rabindranath Tagore .The theme of the design is a true representation of a traditional village of Birbhum.There are a total of 9 clay huts which are two storied.There is a wooden staircase in each hut leading upto the first floor.The huts are artistically painted with colourful murals around the doors and windows.The property has a pond at the backside of the resort.There is a garden area with beautiful orcahrds of mango and guava trees lined up so that you can take a lazy stroll while admiring the natural ambience.Bring along your pet with you,Raktokorobi is one of the best pet friendly resorts near Kolkata.
How to reach:
There are multiple options to reach via train,bus and roadways.
By Train: You can catch a train from Howrah. Available trains are:
- 2347/2348 Sahid Rampurhat Express departing Howrah at 12 noon
- Gana Devta Express departing Howrah at 06:05
- 3015/3016 Shantiniketan Express departing Howrah at 10:05
- 3011/3012 Malda Inter-city Express departing Howrah at 15:25
Catch a buse from Esplanade.Appropriate routes are:
- Kolkata- Asansol ,disembark at Panagarh.The catch another bus for Santinektan
- Kolkata-Suri,disembark at Ilambazar and take another bus for Santiniketan.
Kolkata is around 159.4 kms from Bolpur and it would take around 3 and half hours via NH 2B highway
The resort has inhouse restaurant and serves delicious traditional bengali food.The Bansh pora chicken is a speciality here.
Amenities and entertainment: There is a common room with provision of carrom and TT to enjoy if you are visiting in a group.The managament also arranges bon fire and musical performance by Bauls and tribal dance on request of patrons.
- Viswabhatari University: 9.7 km
- Khowai Haat(weekend saturday market, opeartes from 3-5 pm besides Khowai river).
- Sonajhuri Forest:7 km
- Amar Kutir museum:3.8 km
Air-conditioned rooms with LCD TV,cane chairs and table,electric kettle,tea making accessories and toiletries.
Around 3000-4000 depending upon seasonality
Best time to visit:
Best time to visit here would be during the festivals of Poush Mela (late Decembers) and Basanta Utsav(march).Plan a family picnic here, as it is one of the best resorts near Kolkata for picnic. Apart from sweltering summers which is from April to July, you can visit at any month.But Santiniketan has its own charm and you can visit here at any time of the year.I highly recommend this resort the best over all other weekend resorts near Kolkata.
Useful links of reviews and booking details:
- Resort’s website: http://raktokorobikarugram.com/
- Tripadvisor page: https://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Review-g735771-d6748855-Reviews-Raktokorobi_Karu_Gram-Santiniketan_Birbhum_District_West_Bengal.html
ROMANTIC RIVERSIDE RESORT NEAR KOLKATA FOR DAY OUT
HOTEL SONAR BANGLA,TAKI
Distance from Kolkata: Approximately 71.5 km.
What is your idea of a perfect romantic getaway with your love?How about romance by the river? Sheer bliss right?
What if I say that you can experience this ‘sheer bliss’ at Hotel Sonar Bangla?Yes you read me right.
Perched right at the bank of Icchamati river,Hotel Sonar Bangla is the ideal location to make beautiful memories with your loved one.All the rooms are strategically designed to offer breathtaking views of the river.Witness the beauty of a splendid sunset from your balcony in the company of your soulmate.Hop on a boat ride on Ichamati river and feel the gentle river wind- perfect recipe for a romantic holiday.The best thing about this resort is that you can enjoy spectacular vistas of the river while lazing by the swimming pool.If you are searching for resorts near Kolkata with swimming pool,your quest is over.
Theme of the Resort:
A riverfront resort,Hotel Sonar Bangla is for people who love to lounge by the river.If you are a traveller who prefers your “room with a view”,this is the perfect destination.The property has a well spread out lawn area overlooking Icchamati river for the best leisure experience you can ever have.Lazing out on a full moon night in the lawn area is unmatchable to any other view.I recommend this as the best resort near kolkata for day out.
How to reach:
- At around 71.5 kms distance,2 and a half hour drive.
- Reach science city
- Take the Basanti Highway and continue upto Taki
- Continue upto Taki ghat Road and then take the right diversion around Taki Government High School for Mansingha Road
- Continue on mansingha road upto 5 min to reach Hotel Sonar Bangla
- Take the Sealdah-Hasnabad local train to reach Taki Road railway station.It is 2 hours of train journey.
- Hire a toto(battery operated rickshaw) to reach hotel sonar bangla which is just 3 kms away from railway station.
The resort has its own restaurant called “Icchamati” which offers lip-smacking multicuisine dishes.
Amenities and entertainment:
Although surrounded by the rustic charm of rural Bengal,the resort is well-equipped with all the modern amenities :
- swimming pool
- fitness centre
- kids play area
- activity centre with indoor games
- room service
- car parking
- Taka picnic spot(tourist spot): shores of Icchamati river 1.5 km away
- Taki Eco Park: walking distance,just 750 m away.
- Golpata jungle: Hike through this forested area comprising Golpata and Sundari tree,5.9 km away
- Puber Bari(ruins of the ancestral mansion of erstwhile zamindars of taki): 1.9 km away
Air-conditioned rooms with LED TVs, electric kettle, tea making accessories and luxurious toiletries.Laundry service,room service,intercom service, ironing service and housekeeping service are the offerings .
There are 4 categories of rooms in this resort
- AC Deluxe Ground Floor – Rs 4700
- Super Deluxe Room – Rs 5640
- Premium Rooms – Rs 6580
Best time to visit:
Winters are the most pleasant time to visit since you get to try seasonal variety of a special type of jaggery called nolun gur.The other special time of the year is during the Durga festivities in autumn(around October).The festivities and celebration around the idol immersion of Ma durga is a spectacle to cherish.People across the border of Bangladesh also participate in this occassion with equal enthusiasm.You cannot miss this oppurtunity to witness this cultural frenzy.But you can pay a visit here with you love whenever your heart wishes for.This is one of the best resorts near Kolkata for couples.
ADVENTURE RESORT NEAR KOLKATA FOR THE THRILL SEEKER:
There are two kinds of people in this world. The first kind of people are those who take vacations to chill and do nothing.The other kind consists of those who go on holidays to quench their thrust for adventure and thrill. If you resonate with the second category of people,look no further.Pack your bags and come down straight to Eco Adventure resort in Khairabera Baghmundi,Purulia.
Theme of the resort:
The best way to describe the essence of the resort is -“Adventure in the lap of nature”.The resort is located in complete solitude right at the foothills of the thickly forested Baghmundi Hills overlooking the Khairabera lake (which was built for the purpose of developing the Khairabera dam).There is a plethora of adventure activities you can indulge in and that too in this pristine natural environment-nothing artificial, just 100% real and raw nature.Your quest for forest near Kolkata ends here with Eco Adventure Resort at Purulia.More on that in further sections.
How to reach:
There are multiple options to reach via train or car.
By Train: You can catch a train from Howrah/Satrgachi. Available trains are:
- 58011 Howrah Chakradharpur Express at 23.05 PM,disembark at BaraBhum station (this is the nearest railway station to Khairabera)
- 12019 Howrah Ranchi Satabdi Express at 7.00 AM,disembark at Muri Station
- 12883 Howrah Purulia Ruposhi Bangla Express at 6.05 AM ,disembark at final station Purulia junction.
Pick and drop at respective railway stations is taken care of by the resort.
By car: You can also travel by car but it will be longer than journey via train.You can take NH19 and Durgapur-Purulia-Raghunathpur road to reach Khairabera.It will take almost 8 hours to reach by car.
There are lot of buses plying between Kolkata and Purulia but I would not recommend travel by bus as it is quite hectic and anyhow you have to disembark in Purulia and again travel further.
Food is prepared by the in-house chefs ,the resort has a dining area where you can enjoy meals.Food choices are limited since this is a remote facility.
Amenities and entertainment:
This is undoubtedly the best natural adventure resort near Kolkata.You will be blown away by the sheer amount of activities this place offers.Let me sum those up for you:
- Trekking: Guided treks in 3 completely well-laid out trekking tracks through the adjoining forested area.All the tracks have road signanges so that you don’t lose your way.
- Kayaking: Enjoy kayaking in the placid lake,lifejackets are provided for your safety.You caneven opt for boating.
- Bird watching:If you like bird-watching you can spot lots of species of birds like Kingfisher,heron ,bulbul etc right at the river bank.
- Outdoor games: Have an energising game with your friends and company.Choose from basketball,volleyball and badminton.
- Mountain bicycling:Explore the nearby hills and village in sports bike.Helmet is provided for your safety.
- Fishing: Fishing rod and life-jacket is provided for guests who want to explore some fishing activity in the lake.
- Bon-fire and barbecue:The resort arranges bonfire, barbecue at request.
- Exotic folk dance performance:For the admirers of art and culture, resort organises Chau dance performance by local artists.
- Bamini waterfalls: 20.4 km away
- Turga waterfalls: 18 km away
- Pakhi Pahar-a hillock with beautiful paintings of birds carved by famous artist Chiita Dey : 27 km away
- Murguma dam-13 kms away
- Pardi dam-37 km away.
- Charidah village- a traditional community of Chauu mask makers -11 km away
The resort provides accomodation in the form of tents and cottages.There are 3 cottages and 7 tents arranged in rows.The tents are placed beind the row of cottages.Cottages are of twin sharing capacity and have a beautiful view of the garden and lake.The cottages are all well-furnished with modern appliances and amenities liek geyser,air-conditioner,refriegerator,toiletries
Although there are no categories of cottages , the tents have categorisation-Deluxe,Superior and Standard.All categories are equipped with additional modern amenities like wadrobe,sofa cum bed,Dressing table etc.The categorisation of tents is based on its size.
There are 3 categories of tents in this resort
- Delux Tent – Rs 9500
- Superior Tent – Rs 7000
- Premium Rooms – Rs 6000
Cottages are priced at Rs 5000.
Best time to visit:
September to March is the window of the year when you will enjoy the pleasant weather in Purulia.Spring, monsoon and winters are the three seasons which are best suited for travel to Purulia.The advent of spring is marked by the blooming of fiery red flowers called Palash.Bewitched by the beauty of palash bloomings your heart might skip a beat.Relish the rain at nowhere but Purulia.Monsoons are mesmeising here because of the rain-drenched forests and waterfalls engulfing the hills.If you are seeking tranquility, this resort is the best amongst the forest resorts near kolkata.